Monday 8 August 2011

GUU IN ABERDEEN CENTRE


I don't eat things that stare back at me! 

Stomach relished it though.  He ate my sweet prawn sashimi. 

IMG_1603

We have passed by this restaurant many a time and chosen instead Bebe’s favourite next door, Northern Delicacy.

Today for lunch, we decided to try something new and this Guu, located in Aberdeen Centre Mall looked promising.

IMG_1612

Grilled Black Cod. Topped with garlic chips. mmm.

IMG_1607

Lunch Combo #4.



IMG_1608

Sweet shrimp, california roll, tamago, salmon sashimi and ginger component of Lunch Combo#4

IMG_1609

Stewed Veggies component of Lunch Combo#4.

I really enjoyed this  veggie component.  The veggies were tender and absorbed the sweet soy stewing juices.  Yum.

IMG_1613

BBQ Eel on rice component of Lunch Combo #4.

I am surprised I like BBQ Eel considering what it is.  However, it tastes like fish.  The teriyaki sauce is drizzled a bit over rice to and I never have enough eel to get all the rice down.  I left 3/4 of the rice behind.

IMG_1614

Croquettes, grilled chicken and pickles component of Lunch combo#4. 

The croquettes come with a tonkatsu-type dipping sauce.    I did not detect any curry flavour in the croquette though the menu said it was curry.  This didn’t matter as I liked it anyway.  The chicken was tender thigh meat.  The pickles were a refreshing palate cleanser.

IMG_1616

Lunch Combo #2. The dressing is served separately in the glass bottle and is spicy.

IMG_1615

Cold ramen noodles with steamed chicken, sweet prawns, tomato, egg, cucumber and a smear of yellow mustard.  Nice on a summer’s day.  The main entree component of Lunch Combo #2.

IMG_1617

Chicken karaage (1 pretty big piece)and california roll (2 pieces)

IMG_1618

The Pickles component of lunch combo#2

IMG_1619

This Aberdeen Roll has spicy sashimi, bbq eel, masago, avocado, cucumber, mango sauce and garlic chips, egg and teriyaki sauce. 

IMG_1620

IMG_1611

Mini chicken and fishcake udon for the kids.  They each had a bowl.  Perfect size for their appetites.

IMG_1621

We ordered an extra dish of chicken karaage because Bebe liked it so much.  It was very good.

IMG_1604

IMG_1605

IMG_1606

All in all, we were extremely happy with our experience.  The bill did not break the bank and the food was really good, creative and different from the run-of-the-mill Japanese restaurants.  As far as I could tell, everyone working there spoke Japanese.  The Lunch Menu Combo choices were a good deal.  The service was okay...I would have liked the waitress to come around and be more attentive at refilling our green tea; but they were friendly and helpful when beckoned. 

I have never eaten at the other Guu locations before so I cannot compare.  I hear they are better?  I can only tell you that this was a very good lunch and we were happy with the food.  MIL wants to come back again as she liked the black cod and variety.  We will have to try a dinner here later to see how it fares.

I wanted to try the Sake Mojito but thought it too early in the day.  :(

I noticed a really extensive liquor menu that featured specialty beers, wines and sakes. They even sell their own portable reusable chopsticks for $5.  I was tempted.  

Guu in Aberdeen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin