Tuesday 29 July 2014

ONE BLUEBERRY MUFFIN! NOW! (Small Batch Baking)

One Blueberry Muffin.  Now. 
My 7 yr old loves blueberry muffins.  The trouble is no one else in the household is that crazy about them.  


What in the world would I want to bake a whole batch of 12 muffins for when I know most of it wouldn't get eaten right away?  Muffins are meant to be eaten fresh out of the oven anyway.  When they are a day old they aren't that great.  When I spotted these cupcake-shaped ramekins at Crate and Barrel the other day I thought they would be perfect for small batch baking.  The thing is Bib is a sort of immediate gratification sort of girl and not much for waiting around.  She's the One Muffin Now instead of the 12 muffins later person.  Yah. don't know how that happened there because I'm all about delayed gratification myself.  
7 yr old making her one muffin.  All. By. Herself.  I'm the guide on the side.
Summer is prime cooking and baking training time.  I had her write out a test recipe for her one muffin and told her to take notes in case something did not turn out right. 
Costco. Love you. But this is one HUGE bag of pancake mix.
I wrote out the basic proportions and let her do everything from measuring, mixing and baking.  I did help with removing the hot ramekin dish from the microwave but will let her do it next time since she watched me and noted how hot it was. 

How easy was that?
Who hasn't bought that HUGE bag of pancake mix from Costco at one time or another?  I did.  My bad.  What was I thinking?  I bought it because I hate pancakes and my kids love them.  Besides, this mix isn't gluten free (I'm the only GF person in the house).  They make their own breakfasts with the mix all the time.  Since the kids are the only ones eating pancakes the bag is not being depleted as quickly as I would like.   Cue:  recipes with pancake mix!
Sprinkling with extra coconut sugar before "baking"
Bib's Verdict?  This One Blueberry Muffin recipe was fast to make and she said it was fun.  The crumb was tender and yummy. She finished eating the muffin and said next time she won't put as many blueberries in there because she likes the cake part best and she might try other fruit like strawberries from our garden, or bananas. 

Notes:  you feel like turning on the oven for ONE muffin? ok. go ahead.  You can do that.  Think of the environment though:  350degrees F until the oven comes to temp, then at least 12-15 minutes to bake.  What a waste of energy.  Yes, the texture will be better and some caramelization of the top will occur, but who can deny One Muffin Now?  I think the whole point here is Immediate Gratification. One muffin now!

If you would like to tweak the fruit to batter ratio go ahead.  This is a high fruit to batter ratio (which she said she didn't like as much and will reduce next time).  You can reduce the fruit or switch to other fruit like chopped strawberries, peaches, banana etc.

ta daa! wait at least 5 minutes for the muffin to cool.  Delay that gratification just a bit
CAKEBRAIN'S ONE BLUEBERRY MUFFIN
3 tablespoons pancake mix [Krusteaz]
1 tablespoon coconut sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon blueberries (or other fruit) [use less fruit if you like]
Coconut oil spray or Pam for preparing ramekin

1.  Mix dry ingredients in a pyrex measuring cup
2.  Add all wet ingredients and mix
3.  Toss in blueberries and gently toss. 
4.  Spray ramekin with Coconut oil spray or Pam.  Alternatively, line with a paper liner.  Pour in batter.  Sprinkle with coconut sugar. 
5.  Place in microwave from 60-90 seconds (TIME DEPENDENT ON YOUR MICROWAVE). Test with a toothpick.  Remove ramekin with oven mitts to cool for at least 5 minutes.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Dragon's Loyalty Award. If you haven't heard of it, you can google it or head over to my blog "One Prickly Pear" to get an idea of what this is all about. It's a good and fun way to connect with other bloggers. Oh, and congratulation on becoming a FBC member too!
Ok, time to go make myself a blueberry muffin :)

Cakebrain said...

anakris24,
thanks for thinking of me for the award!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin