Coconut-Vanilla Rice Pudding...Brûlée
Any rice will do for your pudding. I used Jasmine because that's what I had on hand.
This recipe for rice pudding just happens to be Gluten Free and Dairy Free. I used canned coconut milk (Aroy-D Brand). Make sure you stir up the coconut milk in the can before measuring out. The recipe has so few ingredients and is super easy! You can make these ahead, you can leave off the sugaring process entirely and just eat it plain. You can also eat it cold or warm. Just nuke individual servings in the microwave (make sure you cover the pudding in the microwave or it may explode like it did in my oven! eep! rice pudding explosion! don't say I didn't warn you!)
Sprinkle a layer of organic evaporated cane sugar over your rice pudding. Make sure your container is oven-proof!
Ready your blow torch (you can do several at a time on the top rack of your oven and use the broiler)
Brûlée your sugar.
Check. Did you miss any spots? you can add some more sugar and torch those areas again...
COCONUT-VANILLA RICE PUDDING BRULEE
- 1/2 cup rice [I used Jasmine, but a short or medium grain will be creamier]
- 1/4 cup sugar [I used organic evaporated cane sugar. If you like it sweet, use up to 1/2 cup sugar]
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract [I used vanilla bean paste]
- In a large heavy saucepan, cover rice with water and bring to a boil [I used 1 1/2 cups of water]
- Reduce and simmer on low heat, covered for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir until excess liquid has evaporated.
- Distribute the rice pudding in ovenproof individual ramekins. [You can make these ahead up to this point and store covered in the refrigerator]
- Sprinkle extra cane sugar [granulated will do] until you cover the entire surface of the pudding.
- Either brûlée your pudding tops with a torch or broil in the oven until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
I will never make this - as I don't like rice pudding, nor am I allowed near a blow torch.....but I just had to tell you it looks simply marvelous :D great job!
This looks heavenly.
I love coconut flavored stuff.
I may have to give this one a try. :)
hooray! since going gluten and dairy free i've wondered how to live without cream...this creme brulee replacement looks just gorgeous!
cakebrain, i wanted to give u a blog award, but you have over 200 follows so i cant :(
thanks for thinking of me!
This is absolutely gorgeous. I love creme brulee AND rice pudding but have never put the two together...wonderful idea! I bought a blow torch especially for making brulee about a year ago and have not regretted it :-)
Post a Comment