Wednesday 28 December 2011

GF CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES


IMG_3107

GF Chocolate Chip Cookies!



IMG_3100

Yes, I’m baking again!  whooohooo!

Unfortunately, the kitchen reno is not complete, but we have a working kitchen:  the refrigerator, microwave and oven are in and working.  However, cupboard doors, grouting of the backsplash and several miscellaneous things need to be done…

I have been buying e-cookbooks on my ipad and Kindle.  It’s certainly not the same but for all my GF cookbooks, I feel it’s more economical.  Besides, GF cookbooks don’t exactly have fabulous photography.  Most are not coffee-table worthy unlike some of my other cookbooks.  So, e-reader format is okay by me. 

IMG_3101

This GF cookie recipe is the first batch of cookies to be made in my new kitchen.  yah.  I couldn’t wait to bake so I jumped the gun before the reno was finished.  Ah well.

IMG_3102

The recipe I used was from Artisanal Gluten Free Cooking.   The Artisanal GF flour blend consists of:  brown rice flour, potato starch, potato flour, cornstarch, xanthum gum, and sorghum flour.  I kept the rest of the blend in an airtight container. 

IMG_3104

The cookie dough came together quickly; even though I didn’t use the mixer.  I wanted to mix it by hand and keep cleanup to a minimum.  Besides, I couldn’t find half my kitchen supplies as they are still all over the house stuffed in boxes somewhere. 

IMG_3106

I couldn’t even find my cooling racks; so I allowed them to cool on my new Wolf Range top on the cookie sheets.  The kids did not wait for the cookies to cool down and started eating right away (homemade cookie withdrawal)!  I think the recipe is decent and doesn’t taste GF.  The cookies were crispier and drier than I usually like them.  I didn’t get the chewiness I liked.  Seeing as I didn’t adapt the recipe, perhaps next time I will fiddle with it to get the texture I like. 

E.T.A. of the completed kitchen reveal is mid-January (fingers crossed).
 
GF CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
from Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking by Kelli & Peter Bronski
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp GF vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 3/4 cups Artisan GF Flour Mix (or your favourite blend)
  • 2 3/4 tsp xanthum gum
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 oz chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
  2. Cream the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla in a mixer, about 2 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated
  3. Add the flour, xanthum gum, baking soda and salt.  Mix until well blended.  Mix in the chocolate chips.
  4. Using a cookie scoop or a teaspoon, drop dough balls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets (or in batches, if using only one cookie sheet).
  5. Bake for 8-10 minutes [cakebrain’s note: I baked 8 minutes] until lightly golden on top.  Let the cookies rest for 5 minutes on the cookie sheets.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

5 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

love them look delicious!!

cocoa and coconut said...

Oh what a classic recipe! I will use this one soon. I haven't made gluten free biscuits/cookies yet, only gluten free cakes! I will just substitute the sugar with an alternative. Thanks for this!

Ps. Good luck finding all your cooking equipment

Christine Ho said...

Festive cookies come in time! Love choc chips cookies. Happy holidays!

RecipeGirl said...

I shall gift this recipe to my Gluten Free Mom! Happy New Year!

wheatgerm said...

mmmmmm that looks good

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin