Whoopee! I’ve completed my little project concerning recipe development for these Asian Dessert Mixes. The two flavours I worked with are Black Sesame and Peanut. My previous recipes were the Mini Black Sesame Cheesecakes and the Black Sesame Butter Cookies. I also created a Mini Peanut Chocolate Chip Cookie that you can see pictures of near the bottom of this post.
here’s a pic of the instant peanut dessert mix (it’s makes a dessert soup). You get 4 packages (servings) in a box. My recipe uses one package only.
Today, I’ve created a cool, peanut ice cream using the Peanut Dessert Mix. Ever had peanut soup? It’s kind of like a sweet soup that tastes like peanut butter. Kind of. But not really.
I am a firm believer in adding dark chocolate to anything with peanuts in it. Personally, I don’t eat peanuts without dark chocolate, but the recipe can be adapted to of course omit the dark chocolate (horrors!) if you want to do so.
The dessert mix in question is like a peanut powder. The ice cream is distinctly peanutty and if you add the dark chocolate chunks you get nice little crunchy bits of texture in each mouthful. If you’re into a smooth ice cream, just omit the chocolate and you’re in smooth and creamy peanut heaven.
I have a 20 year old Donvier Ice Cream machine. It’s pink and has a picture of Snoopy and Woodstock on it. All you have to do is freeze the inner container overnight and pour your ice cream custard base into the machine the next day and churn. You’ve got instant soft ice cream! It’s so low-tech I love it. You just turn the handle once in a while. I like my ice cream firmer, so I like to put it in a plastic container and freeze it for a few hours until it’s firm. That way, you can make some nice scoops.
By the way, I made Mini Peanut Chocolate Chip cookies with the dessert mix and these would be a perfect accompaniment to the peanut ice cream!
TORTO PEANUTTY ICE CREAM
(recipe created by http://cakeonthebrain.blogspot.com/)
NB: this recipe can be easily adapted to make a Black Sesame Ice Cream, using the Torto Black Sesame Dessert Mix. This recipe can be doubled easily.
Makes approximately 2 cups
- 1 package Torto Peanut Dessert Mix
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup finely chopped dark chocolate chunks or chocolate chips (optional)
- In a heavy-based saucepan, heat milk until hot. Do not boil.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and peanut dessert mix in a small bowl until thick and smooth.
- Gradually pour the egg mixture into the hot milk, whisking constantly. Cook the mixture over low heat until smooth and creamy. Whisk if necessary to eliminate lumps. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- When the custard is thickened and smooth, pour it into the bowl and chill in the refrigerator, about 1 hour.
- Using an Ice Cream Maker (eg. Donvier or Cuisinart): stir the heavy whipping cream into the custard and mix until combined. If using chocolate, mix into the custard now. Pour into the ice-cream maker and churn the mixture until thick (follow manufacturer’s instructions). Remove ice-cream from machine and pour into container to freeze until firm, about 2 to 4 hours for a firmer ice-cream. Serve.
- Alternative method (by hand): Whip the cream until it is thick. Fold into the custard (add optional chocolate) and pour into a plastic container. Freeze for 6 hours or until firm enough to scoop, beating two times with a fork or in a food processor during the freezing period. Serve.
Torto products are available all around the world. If you're from Canada, all Torto Instant Dessert products can be purchased at your local chinese grocery store. If you can't find it, visit http://www.canroxy.com/ or call (416) 321 8521 to find the closest retail shop near you. For anyone outside Canada, you can find it at your local chinese grocery store or email email@example.com for
The ice cream looks very good (and so do the cookies!). I did not grow up with peanut butter (not popular in France), but I like it once in a while. I guess a peanut soup woul be too much for me, but in ice cream, with dark chocolate it should be perfect! Of course, it has to have dark chocolate...
Where did you buy the asian dessert mix?
How cool! I may try this with the black sesame one first :)
I love how creative you are...cool indeed!
Peanut butter dessert soup?? I like your idea of making into ice cream better!
genius! using the instant soup in ice cream :) gorgeous :) x
This look absolutely yummy! xGloria
You are indeed creative! what a good job.
Ive been visiting your blog and I do love it. Ive bookmarked a good chunk of it :)
so since i love ur blog so much I'm passing you an award. Please do pick it up if you'd like it, at my blog. Cheers, zurin
cakebrain, stopped by once again to let u know i left you a blog award on mine! :D check it out whenever u can. i heart your blog xx
So Cool........ I like this post........
That ice cream is looking good!
Post a Comment