Monday 9 February 2009

LOW-CARB BROWNIES THAT DON'T TASTE LOW-CARB!

Brownies: does this even look low-carb to you? no way!

I have certainly been eating well since going low-carb. No, I didn't eat the whole batch of brownies yet! I'm pacing myself. It's kind of easy to eat 3 or 4 though because they're very good. So, you're wise to stash them in the refrigerator out of sight and even wiser yet to cut them small. That being said, the recipe makes 48 brownies in a 13 x 9 inch baking pan and each brownie has a pretty low carb count. (Per brownie: Effective carbohydrates: 1.5 g; Carbohydrates: 2.1 g; Fiber: 0.6 g; Protein: 2.1 g; Fat: 9.7 g; Calories: 99 Made with Splenda only: Add 0.3 g carbohydrates)


Karen Barnaby outdid herself with this winner of a recipe. In place of white flour, the recipe calls for ground almonds and it incorporates quality unsweetened dark chocolate and cocoa powder. The moistness of the brownies has much to do with the cream cheese and unsalted butter in there. It makes a nice-sized batch for nibbling on when you crave chocolate or sweets (just cut them small!) and their richness helps alleviate hunger pangs. The ground almonds help with that too. That extra protein helps stave off further munchies.
Go buy her book for the recipe. She's already shared so many of her recipes from her book that it's only right that you buy her book The Low-Carb Gourmet for this one :P

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The brownies look lovely and dense, I've never used ground almonds in place of flour but the recipe sounds delicious and decadent, and the pictures, stunning.

Manggy said...

I've never baked with Splenda before, but it sounds really intriguing! I tend to look a fat before carbs, though. I'm sure they tasted fantastic!

Snooky doodle said...

what a nice recipe. I can't beleive they low in fibre they look so delicious!

Julia said...

Lovely brownies! I ordered a copy of Karen Barnaby's book off of Amazon today - all of the stuff you've made from her book looked too good to miss.

Theresa said...

This will do me just fine. I'm trying to keep up my new year's resolution and these will fit right in!

Unknown said...

How amazing are those?!?

Maria said...

Brownies are such a great treat! I will have to try this version. I am glad you approve!

test it comm said...

Those brownies look good. I am feeling a chocolate craving coming on.

Cakebrain said...

Girl,
the ground almonds are so good for you compared to white flour...and they do add nice flavour and moist texture too!
Mark,
as you don't have to watch your carbs and fat, you'll just have to trust me on this one!
Snooky,
The fiber isn't what I'm looking to lower...it's the carbohydrates! Yeah, you'd think the fiber would be higher with the almonds, but apparently not.
Hen,
I'm sure you'll enjoy those recipes. The cover pic always has me drooling!
Theresa,
this is the only way to diet...by including some desserts too!
Gabe's girl,
yah, they're so yummy I'm thinking they're too good to be true!
Maria,
I wouldn't steer you wrong...these are exceptional considering they're low carb!

Sara said...

These don't look low carb, they just look really delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to get my hands on this book/recipe. Thanks for sharing. =) It looks great! YUMM!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Thanks for this recipe! My mom is doing the low carb thing again, and this will really help her out! :D

Anonymous said...

woah-- Low Carb Brownies that look like Brownies! Now I can go for that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin