|the best parts are the edges, where the bar gets all crusty-caramelized. not a flop! let's call it a lemon cookie bar!|
This recipe comes from The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook, which I recently purchased at a hefty discount from Book Warehouse, which is closing its doors soon (c'est dommage!)
My family will miss the book store sorely and we used to frequent it quite often to buy our books.
LEMON BARS [made GF]
from The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook by Allysa Torey and Jennifer Appel
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups all-purpose flour [I used Cup4Cup gf flour blend]
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup lemon juice [I used 5 Meyer Lemons]
- 6 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 12 x 18 inch jelly roll pan
- To make the crust: In a large bowl, on the low speed of an electric mixer, combine all the ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Form the dough into a ball. Spread crust evenly into prepared pan. Use a large piece of waxed paper to firmly and evenly press down crust. Bake the crust for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes before proceeding. [*warning: I did not do this and didn't get my lemon curd layer :-( I'm sure if you allow it to cool, and use regular all-purpose flour, yours will turn out different than mine! ]
- While the crust is cooling, make the topping: In a medium-size bowl, on the low speed of an electric mixer, beat the sugar, the eggs, the lemon juice, and the zest until well combined. Pour over slightly warm crust. Return to oven. Bake 18-20 minutes until edges are golden brown. Remove from one and let cool for about 20 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, or overnight, before cutting and serving.
Even if these didn't turn out quite how you'd expected, I think they look delicious! Maybe you've invented a new kind of lemon bar? ;-)
i definitely think they look pretty! and this is so perfect, because i have six little meyer lemons just sitting on my counter. i was going to use them for a syrup, but then ended up not needing it, and they are in desperate need of a home! i will be using the gf flour too, but maybe i'll get a layer if i wait until the crust is cooled? either way they look great!
oh my goodness! quit teasing me! i really wanna get started on spring baking but but but buttt i have examsss
These still look amazing. I wouldn't mind trying them your way :P
Post a Comment