Monday 20 February 2012

COCONUT JELLY (GF)



Coconut Jelly (gluten free)

Hello Kitty Coconut Jelly!

I have two plastic jelly molds I purchased to make kiddie jellies.  The huge Hello Kitty face mold above turned out really well and the facial features turned out quite well.

Miffy?
Sorry, I don't know the Hello Kitty characters too well.  The 4-character set produces smaller sized jellies and their features didn't turn out as distinct.  Each jelly is about 2 inches in length.  I used a thin rubber spatula to help ease out the jellies.


 Who's this bear?  Oh well, obviously I'm not learned about Hello Kitty characters.

While my daughters enjoyed the cute characters in coconut jelly form, I preferred the little cubes.  The coconut jelly is firm enough to eat with your fingers, just like the kind you get at DimSum restaurants.  

This version of the Coconut Jelly is not very sweet and isn't spongey like my previous recipe which incorporates whipped egg whites.  It's gluten free but not dairy free.  I suppose if you wanted to, you could replaced the cow's milk with more coconut milk or substitute almond milk or soy milk.  

COCONUT JELLY (Gluten Free)
1 cup (250 ml) water
5 oz (125 g) evaporated cane sugar
1 oz (25 g) gelatine
1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk (ensure you mix the contents in the can well before measuring)
1 cup (250 ml) 2% milk (you may substitute with soy, almond or more coconut milk)
  • Boil water, add sugar and stir to dissolve. Cool slightly and add gelatine. Stir well to dissolve. Add coconut milk and 2% milk.
  • Immediately pour mixture into plastic-lined pan or molds and chill until firm and set.
  • Cut into cubes; serve cold




18 comments:

Unknown said...

Too cute! Definitely a hit among children.

amlamonte said...

wow, this looks really easy and delicious! very excited to try it!

Shoutforfood said...

I'm drooling over your pictures!

Hilary said...

Simply Devine!! Your site makes me want chocolate even more than I already do!

thelittleloaf said...

I don't think I've ever had coconut jelly, only fruity flavours, but I need to rectify that - this looks so good! All pure and white and creamy and delicious :-)

Connie the Cookie Monster said...

im so glad you posted this!
i went to dimsum with my dad today at dai tung and i asked him if he could give me the recipe (he's a chef at a chinese restaurant) but he refused!!!!

Cakebrain said...

Connie,
wah? your dad won't give you the recipe? shocking! considering how simple the recipe is!

Stefanie said...

My husband loves coconut jelly! Looks great! And I love how you can use molds. Cute and kid friendly!

Amy of FL said...

Yum, I remember when my mom made this for me. Now I can suprise my mom and make some for her.
Thanks
Amy Wong

Cakebrain said...

hey amy, let me know how your mom likes it!

joeneke said...

How do I substitute for agar agar? Do I have to boil it and how long?

Cakebrain said...

joeneke,
I have used the stick agar agar and the powder. I believe you have to soak it first in hot water for about 10 minutes first. Then you have to boil it to dissolve it. I just googled it as I don't know what kind of agar agar you have.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Agar-Agar

Unknown said...

HELLO KITTY<3

Aimee {The Honeyed Almond} said...

Gotta try these, sounds delicious! And I also have a hello kitty chocolate mould I've been dying to try out...

Anonymous said...

I made this earlier substituting the cane sugar for 1/4cup splenda and used 2cups coconut milk (instead of the 2%) and it is delicious! Not super sweet but very creamy and coconuty. I'm in love!

Unknown said...

Can I use egg molds? :P

Unknown said...

Can I use egg molds? Like these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Empac-Direct-Ltd-EggShapers-Rabbit/dp/B0096NHCP8/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1373045858&sr=1-2&keywords=egg+mold

Or ice cube molds?

Cakebrain said...

I don't know if you can use egg molds or ice cube molds. I think it's important to have flexible molds that can easily turn out the jellies. If the molds have too intricate details then they may not turn out. My molds were thin flexible plastic specifically designed for jellies.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin