Saturday 30 August 2008

BANANA CAKE POPS

white chocolate dipped banana cake pops. my cake pops are sticking out of a banana tree...a cheesy tourist souvenir i brought back from a trip to costa rica! funny how it says "made in china" on a little gold oval sticker under the base of the tree! hehe, i didn't notice that at the time!

I've finally made those fabulous cake pops that Bakerella has popularized in the food blogging world. I knew I would succumb to making the fun little treats eventually. It was just a matter of time. I had some left-over Cream Cheese Frosting and I used some homemade Banana Bread to make Banana Cake Pops. I dipped the little cake truffles into white chocolate and decorated with various dragees, sprinkles and sugars.


The technique is so gosh-darned easy that even my kids could do it. In fact, Bebe helped me mash the banana bread into a mound of moist crumbs in a bowl and helped with the assembly of the pops. I had purchased a bag of lollipop sticks at Michaels (with my trusty 40% coupon!) and I even had the forethought to purchase small clear treat bags that fit the pops perfectly. I tied a ribbon at the base of the bags and the treats look so cute!
my daughter loves anything pink...thus the pink sanding sugar

I'm imagining that these little treats are going to take over the world. Any cake or cookie would do for the truffle, I think. What a fabulous idea for leftover cake! I had to refrigerate my cake truffles before dipping them in the white chocolate. In fact, to speed things up, I put a few in the freezer for a short time to harden quickly to the sticks. I had initially tried to dip one freshly made truffle and it just slipped off the lollipop stick and kerplopped into the mass of melted chocolate. Of course, I had to rescue my melted chocolate so I had to eat that one.


the white chocolate shell i made was quite thick so that it was kind of difficult for the kids to bite into. next time, i'll take it easy with the chocolate layer. inside was the cream cheese frosting spiked banana cake truffle.

21 comments:

Manggy said...

It's certainly taking over MY world at this moment! I don't care if the chocolate shell is too thick! Lemme at 'em! :)

Snooky doodle said...

howw cute . they re the latest pop trend :-)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I have a whole cake made into crumbs in my freezer to try this soon! Banana bread must be sooooo delicious! They're cute as cute can be!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

MMMMM,banana cake pops sound yummy!

test it comm said...

Those cake pops look really good!

PG CakeCraft said...

Super easy but certainly stunning! banana, cream cheese and chocolates - what terrific combo. I'll certainly be trying this recipe.

Y said...

I can imagine kids (and grownups ) going nuts for something like this. Very cute, especially with the different sprinkles.. and banana cake, no less! :D

Eileen said...

What a great little treat!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

You have combined all my favorites. Wow I have never made pops before but this one I will try!! Just need an occasion... Hmmm on second thought none needed...

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Wow !! these look so adorable and irresistible !

RecipeGirl said...

What a great idea! Don't those 40% off coupons come in handy? I love the idea of banana bread in a cake pop.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Great flavors for the pops! They sound yummy!

cakewardrobe said...

I love your take on the pops. I think your daughter and me would get along - we both love pink to death!

Maria said...

Your pops turned out super cute!

Cakebrain said...

thanks for the comments, everyone! I highly recommend using banana bread for cake pops...it's a winner!

Snooky doodle said...

Hi I ve just given you an award. Please pass by my blog to collect it.

CECIL said...

so pretty!! never heard about banana bread as cake pops! this is so inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I would like at least five of those right now, thank you! Looks delicious.

The P & A Food Chronicles said...

those are super cutE!!!!

Katy said...

That sounds like a great variation on the recipe. What bags did you use? I am trying to decide between this one:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=4ED291E4-423B-522D-F4DF115B8754EBFE&killnav=1
or this set:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E31032B-475A-BAC0-5E6F8E3A02BDC865&killnav=1

Cakebrain said...

Katy,
I used the small clear bags, which look like the second one you mentioned.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin