Friday 18 April 2008

BANANA FLAX CHIFFON: A HEALTHY ALTERNATIVE

banana flax chiffon

Okay, you know I collect bananas.
freshly ground golden flaxseed adds health benefits to this cake without making it taste icky

I obviously have a hefty collection thus far and decided to whittle down my collection by baking my favourite chiffon cake.
the cake is very moist and can be kept for 3-5 days

I adapted the recipe by adding 4 tablespoons of freshly ground golden flaxseed. It's hardly noticeable and in fact gives it a bit of a subtle nutty flavour.
no frosting is necessary; but a dusting of confectioners' sugar is always pretty

With the addition of the flaxseed this Banana Chiffon Cake is not only moist and delicious; but it is also mildly healthy with the addition of this ingredient. At least I'm adding back some fibre in there along with the other heart-healthy benefits of flaxseed.

My favourite chiffon recipe comes from America's Test Kitchen because it uses 7 whole eggs. There's none of that craziness you get with using more egg whites than yolks; leaving you with a bunch of yolks that you have to utilize in yet another recipe.


Here's the recipe I used.

5 comments:

Manggy said...

Moist! I like that :) So, which do you prefer, the banana bread or the chiffon cake?

You can use the yolks easily enough in a pastry cream/creme anglaise, or if you're in the mood, ice cream!! :D

giz said...

I really like the idea of the flax flour - so bananas with a hint of nuttiness and good for you too - perfect!!!

test it comm said...

A banana chiffon cake sounds like a good idea!

Cakebrain said...

Mark,
I think they both have their places in my heart. When I like a tender, delicate crumb, the chiffon's the way to go. The banana bread is moist and dense and good for a nice snack when you're needing that carb fix!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

I also put flax meal into my banana bread when I am making it for home because I give it to my little son. he loves it. This looks so light!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin