This is my adaptation of a chiffon cake for my family. It's half-sized because a full size sits on the counter too long in my opinion! No one has a sweet tooth (except me) in this family and I don't want to have to eat it all (which I've had to do on occasion in the past). Sigh!
This chiffon is pretty much the only type of cake every single person in this household enjoys eating. It is also the only cake that they all request.
150 g sugar
76 g cake flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
4 eggs (2 separated and 2 whole)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 T almond extract
1/4 t cream of tartar
91 g (3 oz) water
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Beat the 2 egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form (8 minutes)
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, 2 whole eggs, yolks, almond extract and water together until smooth. Sift in the flour mixture and mix well.
- Fold the two mixtures together gently and pour into a mini tube pan
- Bake 45 minutes or until done
- Hang upside down to cool completely on a rack
- Unmold using a thin spatula (mine is plastic), running it around the edges and pressing it against the pan walls. Lift out cake and remove from base.